Are you a new mum juggling new demands with lack of sleep and a little bit of fatigue?
Those early weeks with a new born are challenging, exciting and stressful as you adapt to your newest family member. Whether it is baby number one or baby number five there is certainly always something new you can learn!
Here are our 5 top physio health tips for new mums:
- When breastfeeding take care to support yourself, and the baby with pillows so you can relax into the position. It is important not to hold the baby for too long without support as this can cause muscular tension and strain to the neck/ thorax and lower back. After breast feeding try this simple stretch routine here
- Try and get as much sleep as you can! We know, this is easier said than done right? But it is so important! Your body heals and recovers best when you’re asleep and after pregnancy and childbirth the body has lots to recover from. So, sleep when you can! This might look like plenty of short naps in any window you can, or simply asking for some help to allow you some rest time.
- Start your pelvic floor exercises as soon as possible! Start in the first week after delivery. Start short and simple with just 10x1sec holds a few times a day. During or after breastfeeding can be a good time to remember. Did you know most women get their pelvic floor exercises completely wrong? You can read more about pelvic floor health here or even listen to our podcast here
- Book a physio appointment at 4-6 weeks post-natal to have your abdomen, pelvic floor, perineal or C section scars and pelvis checked for problems. The earlier treatment starts the better and quicker you recover your pelvic floor, pelvis and core!
- Ask for help! Ask anybody and everybody for help and do not be ashamed! You could ask a friend to prepare some food, a relative to come and do some house work or even a stranger to help carry your groceries. There is no harm in asking and most people really love to help. This allows you those moments of joy, knowing your are supported with the day to day tasks that can add to overwhelm.
We are women who love helping women with their health. Collectively we offer you professional expertise and care in all areas of women’s health!